Diamonds are girl’s best friend! This statement never sounded so true before, as much as it does today.
Women realise their love for it as they get a little older and especially once they get married.
Diamonds are the most valuable purchases, so it is almost impossible not to be a little doubtful about the authenticity of it. Many people are apprehensive about the genuineness of their diamonds especially if they do not come with a GIA certificate.
The best way to restrict yourself from buying diamonds would be by not purchasing any that comes without the certificate and secondly, always purchase from trusted vendors who are known for their high-quality diamonds.
Before purchasing diamonds, remember the 5 C’s. If the diamond fails these 5 C’s test, we advise you not to purchase them.
1. Certification – It is crucial to have a diamond certificate while purchasing diamonds. The certificate guarantees authenticity and if the seller does not give one, it is more likely to be fake.
2. Color – The lesser the colour in the diamond, the more valuable it is.
3. Clarity – The size, nature, location and amount of inclusions determine a diamond’s clarity grade and its cost.
4. Carat – A diamond’s weight is measured in carats. The better the carat, the better and expensive the diamond is.
5. Cut – The cut determines the radiance of the diamond. A large percentage of a diamond’s value is determined by its cut, so observe it carefully.
If you already have good diamond pieces and you want to check their authenticity, there are a few ways to easily test whether it is a real diamond or a fake.
1. The Loupe Test – A loupe is a jeweller’s magnifying glass and can reveal a lot about whether a diamond is real or fake. If you have a powerful magnifying glass and a diamond on hand, you can perform this test easily at home. If you don’t have this magnifying glass, you can head to your nearest local jeweller to get the test done.
2. The Fog Test – This is a very easy test and can be performed anywhere and anytime. Blow on the stone. If the diamond is real, it will not retain heat well. Even if you blow on it with hot air, it will not get foggy. On the other hand, a fake diamond will retain the fog that fades away, just like on the mirror or any other similar surface.
3. The Transparency Test – Take a newspaper page or a magazine page, and place the loose diamond on top of it. If the stone is a real diamond, it will sparkle so much that you will not be able to see through it to read the words on the page. With fake diamonds, you should be able to see right through.
4. The Water Test – Take a glass of water, and drop the loose diamond into it. As the real diamonds are dense, they should sink to the bottom when dropped in a glass of water. Many diamond fakes will float or not sink as quickly because they are less dense.
5. The Conductivity Test – This test will require you to go to your nearest jewellery shop. Diamonds are good conductors of electricity. Majority of the good jewellers today have an electricity testing toll to distinguish between the real and fake diamonds. Fake diamonds will not conduct electricity with as much strength as a diamond.
Well, if you still face any difficulty to spot the fake and the real, you can always take your diamonds to the nearest store and get its authenticity checked. A fake diamond deal may cost you a lot, so be double sure before you buy one.